• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Standard Equipment And Options

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The sequence is, press on the start button, and hold it in for at least 5 seconds. (The time varies depending on the make and model; some are less)
Not sure about this, but seems like it needs to be in park to shut down. Could you put it neutral?

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What happens if your throttle gets stuck and you can't stop the car? with a key I can turn it off.

How often in your driving career have you had to actually do this? Not saying it doesn't happen, but if you are worried about it really happening...:mmph:

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the cars become self driving, someone will hack the system and have the car drive itself to a designated delivery point or hack shop.

Then they would need to also delete from "the system" where it is and how it got there. No small feat, but reckon it could be done. The system is a pretty big place after all. :bounce:

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Considering the throttle is computer-controlled as well, it wouldn't get "stuck". If the computer locked up or ceased functioning, then it would stop sending an accelleration signal to the engine. Most computer programming is designed to "stop on malfunction" as a safeguard against situations like runaway accelleration.
That is not to say that malfunctions will never happen. But another advantage to computer-control, is that you can stress-test computers without them being physically plugged into a moving vehicle, whereas mechanical systems can only be tested while in use. Remember that huge GM recall a couple years ago, when keys were getting nudged out of the ignition due to a manufacturing defect? Cars lost power and careened off the road because of no power steering/power brake assist. At least with computers, you can test the programming in a virtual environment before deploying the technology into the real world.

Yup, cars careening are are a force to be reckoned with!

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Then they would need to also delete from "the system" where it is and how it got there. No small feat, but reckon it could be done. The system is a pretty big place after all. :bounce:
Who knew Big Brother (1984) would be binary?

HAL (2001: A Space Odessy) on Earth?

Last edited:

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What happens if your throttle gets stuck and you can't stop the car? with a key I can turn it off.

Your brakes are 1,000 time stronger than your engine. Have you ever seen someone do a burn out?

If the cars become self driving, someone will hack the system and have the car drive itself to a designated delivery point or hack shop.

Security professionals have been doing this for years.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure about this, but seems like it needs to be in park to shut down. Could you put it neutral?
You can shut off a motor if it's in drive; it's restarting it you have to be in Neutral or Park.
You can do that on any car; the keyless ignitions are no different on that aspect.

PhreighnQ

Elio Fan
Reaction score
My Nissan Versa has a proximity key, but it also has a basically standard ignition on the steering column. As long as the battery is good in my fob all I have to do is push in on the ignition and turn it as if the key was in it. If the fob battery is dead I can easily slide out the key from the fob and it works just like a car with a regular key. I think this makes a nice combination of the convenience of a keyless ignition and the reliability of a standard key. When my fob's battery dies I can still drive to a store to get a replacement.

Top Bottom