• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Tesla’s Model 3 Electric Car Gets Requests For 135,000 Vehicles On First Day Of Ordering

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if the Elio can really be sold for $7500? Perhaps that it why my order has not been filled.
It may end up costing more but for those of us who have locked in the price, it is being sold for $7,000. Of course, that's without many options and may end up being a "Loss-Leader" for Elio. But, once on the road, they could be great advertising.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What does Donn Bailey really know about Tesla? Does his family controlled portfolio short the stock?
Don't know how much influence Donn Bailey has financially on Tesla, but it shows he is putting his money where his mouth is. He apparently is making an "educated" speculation/gamble. Perhaps Tesla's battery technology will be replaced by something better but with the size of building they are putting up, I see where they could possibly produce more than one kind.

acentre

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't know how much influence Donn Bailey has financially on Tesla, but it shows he is putting his money where his mouth is. He apparently is making an "educated" speculation/gamble. Perhaps Tesla's battery technology will be replaced by something better but with the size of building they are putting up, I see where they could possibly produce more than one kind.
as "educated" as you or I and his opinions as valid.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score

So, as dreamers, we should create a chain of franchised battery stores to service Tesla, Nissan, Toyota, GM and other emerging EVs. We could be bigger than Jiffy Lube as ICEs market diminishes.

acentre

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So, as dreamers, we should create a chain of franchised battery stores to service Tesla, Nissan, Toyota, GM and other emerging EVs. We could be bigger than Jiffy Lube as ICEs market diminishes.
why would you need battery stores?

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
why would you need battery stores?

For quick battery maintenance maybe, like we currently do oil changes? You drive in, get some bad cells replaced, drive home a few minutes later with all good battery cells? If the EV manufacturers agreed on a standard battery cell size and format and made them easily replaceable that could be a thing.

acentre

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For quick battery maintenance maybe, like we currently do oil changes? You drive in, get some bad cells replaced, drive home a few minutes later with all good battery cells? If the EV manufacturers agreed on a standard battery cell size and format and made them easily replaceable that could be a thing.
I am not sure if you understand the current battery technology. The units are not readily repairable, or do they really need to be, as most will last many miles before they degrade to an unusable level. There is no "oil change" maintenance required for electric vehicles, and a universal standard is really not necessary. The Tesla model S pack was shown to be automatically swapped in less that a few minutes.
Electric will be the future.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am not sure if you understand the current battery technology. The units are not readily repairable, or do they really need to be, as most will last many miles before they degrade to an unusable level. There is no "oil change" maintenance required for electric vehicles, and a universal standard is really not necessary. The Tesla model S pack was shown to be automatically swapped in less that a few minutes.
Electric will be the future.

I do understand current battery technology and that modern EV battery packs are made of smaller cells, do you? Pretty sure Tesla packs are still made from lithium 18650 cells and new packs using 2170 cells for the Model 3. The units might not be readily repairable, but they could build them to be. As you said yourself, they can be swapped out in only a matter of minutes. Making a cross brand standard makes this even easier.

And I am not the one saying we need "Jiffy Lube" style service shops, just conjecturing what Frim meant. Individual cells do sometimes go bad faster than others. It does happen.

Last edited:

acentre

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do understand current battery technology and that modern EV battery packs are made of smaller cells, do you? Pretty sure Tesla packs are still made from lithium 18650 cells and new packs using 2170 cells for the Model 3. The units might not be readily repairable, but they could build them to be. As you said yourself, they can be swapped out in only a matter of minutes. Making a cross brand standard makes this even easier.

And I am not the one saying we need "Jiffy Lube" style service shops, just conjecturing what Frim meant. Individual cells do sometimes go bad faster than others. It does happen.
The small cells are grouped into modules. I am not sure if individual cells can be replaced easily by untrained individuals, but perhaps they could be. I am sure it is work better done at the original manufacture. Electric vehicles are a brand new future for all of us.

Top Bottom