• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio And The Deer

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
time and space

the deer will only be in that exact intersecting point for a fraction of a second

so the FASTER YOU GO

THE LESS LIKELY YOU ARE TO EVER HIT A DEER !

That is about the most ludicrous thing I have read on this or any other forum...

62 years riding a motorcycle never went down or hit anything !!

in October at 11pm I was heading home here on Island when I saw two deer up ahead

there are THOUSANDS here as there is no hunting and no predators

so I stopped to let them pass

started to move again (speed limit is 25 MPH) and GAZAAAM …

another deer out of the woods tried to jump OVER me ??

hit me in the head, down we went, me and my bike and Mr. Deer

Yeah, but you just said... oh forget it... :rolleyes:

i predict we will see DAILY pictures being posted of front outriggers being sheared off …it is a new perspective for drivers to become accustomed ...

Daily? Seriously? Oh man, I got nothin'...

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Pretty dire prediction! Probably depends on how many deer herds you drive through at speed. Daily reports? Hyperbole is a wonderful tool, used in moderation. But because it is exposed, yes there is higher potential for that kind of damage.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thankfully ,we don't get many deer crossing the roads in these parts (it's mainly drunks..).

However, many years ago, a friend of mine used to own an almost brand new Simca Rallye. He was driving it in Scotland when a huge Red Deer stag leapt a fence and landed right on his car. It wrote off every panel, putting the car beyond economic repair, and injured him, too.
But what did he expect, the Simca logo probably attracted it!

For those who don't know it, click the link and scroll down to the green car at the bottom of the page...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simca_1000&ei=DuOBVOTUMo7gaJ6ogegK&bvm=bv.80642063,d.d2s&psig=AFQjCNE4Tx_U-VQtglz4rveOwS8ZC58uDw&ust=1417884813361925

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you live in an area where the Deer and the Antelope play ( and the bunny rabbits too ) or open range cattle states you should have learned very early in your driving life, where there's one, there's a dozen. Slow down, pay attention, especially at dusk and dawn when the herd is most likely on the move. I have bumped a deer at a bridge and knocked her off her feet, no damage to us or her. Also bumped a cow in a heavy fog and freezing rain, I was expecting deer near a creek and instead found a herd of Holsteins standing in the middle of the road. It's not easy seeing a black & white cow in a heavy fog. Of course you can't predict the ones that are going to try and play mexican stand off with you. It happened to me in northern Minnesota, a small herd just stood in the middle of the road not moving for about 5 minutes, tried the horn, nothing, got out of the car to try and scare them off but when the buck lowered his head as if to charge, I got back in the car. Then there are the ones who decides to jump over your car, coming out of a creek bed and heavy brush ( happened to the wife ). The very large 10 point buck did not survive. The Saturn had to be lifted to untangle the buck from underneath it. Lots of damage, several thousand $ worth.

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have hit or been hit by 5 or so. I've yet to have to be towed. Most just bounce off the side and I keep going. Like you, I fear this may not be the case with the Elio.
Do you at least report it. We just had a case here where someone hit a deer and drove off, the next car that came around the corner hit the deer laying in the road and flipped killing the 48 year old driver and a 10 year old child.

Top Bottom