• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio And The Deer

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
does anyone have any experience with installing "deer whistles" that are advertised to keep deer from crossing in front of a vehicle

Jim

The vast majority of deer I see are munching on the grass along the side of the highway (I-44) between Times Beach (glow in the dark deer...inside joke, Jim might get it), and the east side of Antire Hill. As long as their head stays down eating, I'm not too worried. It's when something makes them pop their heads up I get nervous...never know which way they're going to go. So I'm going with "let's NOT disturb the deer while he/she's eating"...no whistle for me, thanks! That said, it's the ones that you don't see that get ya! :eek:

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've hit probably a dozen deer in 30 years of driving. I agree with one of the first replies, that the narrow cab will help keep Bambi from joining you inside, which can really hurt.

One bit of advice, brake but don't swerve to miss a corn munching antlered road rat. More people get seriously hurt or killed leaving the road trying to avoid em.

I work evenings, I know every reflector on the side of the road on my way home. When there's an extra, it's time to cover the brake pedal.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Deer whistle are a scam 100%. The state of Wisconsin had enough of them and did a study . This was years ago. The proved they did nothing at all.
I have known people that fell for it and they went Deer hunting with their cars.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
time and space

the deer will only be in that exact intersecting point for a fraction of a second

so the FASTER YOU GO

THE LESS LIKELY YOU ARE TO EVER HIT A DEER !

62 years riding a motorcycle never went down or hit anything !!

in October at 11pm I was heading home here on Island when I saw two deer up ahead

there are THOUSANDS here as there is no hunting and no predators

so I stopped to let them pass

started to move again (speed limit is 25 MPH) and GAZAAAM …

another deer out of the woods tried to jump OVER me ??

hit me in the head, down we went, me and my bike and Mr. Deer

I should have been going FASTER !!!

those front wheels will tear right off just like paper when they hit something …

i predict we will see DAILY pictures being posted of front outriggers being sheared off …it is a new perspective for drivers to become accustomed ...

How many miles a year do you ride I average about 60K a year you chance go way up. Most don't put that on in ten years of riding.
I have put as many as 100K in one year I bet 70% of the people I know don't put 5K a year on

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Those of us living where deer and antelope play (or just run headlong into us) being careful (or maybe it's just paranoia, either one works!) is part of life. If all you pay attention to here are the other drivers you could get a nasty surprise. Fortunately I haven't had the opportunity to make the acquaintance with a speeding deer, but I'm not easing up on my attentiveness. That's when it will bite you!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Deer whistle are a scam 100%. The state of Wisconsin had enough of them and did a study . This was years ago. The proved they did nothing at all.
I have known people that fell for it and they went Deer hunting with their cars.

good to know .... I've never bought a set and was wondering

Jim

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
does anyone have any experience with installing "deer whistles" that are advertised to keep deer from crossing in front of a vehicle

Jim

'does anyone have any experience with installing "deer whistles'

I've had a little. I visited a GF in another town, hit a deer on the way home, just B4 daylight, as it turn out the trip wasn't worth it. What I gained was not worth the damage to my little Z car.
I mounted a pair of 'deer whistles' on a Datson 260Z, way back. Some time later a small buck removed them for me, both head light shrouds, damaged both fenders/hood/bumper and punctured the radiator.
I say they 'Do Not Work'. The deer Died, on the shoulder of the road, before I could beat it to death for damageing my Z. I drove on home in a Blind Rage.
I think the whistles work Much better as an Elephant repellant, at least in this country. I've never, ever heard of Anyone hitting an Elephant with 'whistles' installed.lol

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I researched and deer have the same hearing frequencies as humans, if you aren't annoyed by the whistle, they won't be either. They simply cannot hear the common "ultrasonic" whistles. Even the ones that can be heard don't have any effect on deer behavior according to many studies.

Top Bottom