• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

This Weeks Tech Talk Is All About Interiors

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't see evidence of a conventional anti-sway device. I wonder if that will be addressed in the production version of the front suspension. Hopefully, it will be addressed in the aftermarket if not at the factory. I really like the 'cornering on rails' feeling that's provided by excellent sway prevention. That's no reason that I can see that this vehicle shouldn't corner like a slot car. :D

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see evidence of a conventional anti-sway device. I wonder if that will be addressed in the production version of the front suspension. Hopefully, it will be addressed in the aftermarket if not at the factory. I really like the 'cornering on rails' feeling that's provided by excellent sway prevention. That's no reason that I can see that this vehicle shouldn't corner like a slot car. :D

Peterson Spring is providing the stabilizer bar

http://www.eliomotors.com/peterson-spring/

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I sort'a understand LSD but what is "stability control"? Also, thinking this discussion should be under the engine drive train forum.
Thanks Kuda27 for your reply.

This does a pretty good job: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_stability_control
The anecdotal story is: The Elio engineers were testing the P1 @ speed & hit a pot hole & had to change their underwear.
Hence the addition of "Stability Control" I can dig it......... :)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Same here as I use "CC" a lot on distance trips. But, a fast question for anyone: On slick roads the use of "CC" is unsafe as a single wheel can can lose traction faster than most drivers can react; so what if a vehicle is equipped with a lemited slip or positraction(sp?) type differential? What will the Elio be equipped with?
We had that problem in Minot, ND quite a bit. People would put on the cruise control and when they hit ice, it was all over. However, that only affects the powered wheels. The elio has the same two drive wheels that every other front wheel drive vehicle has. It should not be any less safe in slippery conditions than anybody else in regards to cruise control forcing you to lose traction with the drive wheels.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
HERE IS THE TECH TALK AS PER MY EMAIL:

Interior Styling

Agreeably the Elio commands attention wherever it goes. With its eye-catching sleek exterior, to the unexpectedness of the three-wheel design, the Elio is unlike anything that has ever been seen in the transportation industry.

The interior space, specifically the interior comfort and design, is something the team has put equal consideration into. Everything from the instrument panel configuration to even the placement of cup holders has been carefully considered.
elio11_interior2.jpg

So, how does Elio Motors go about creating an equally memorable interior? From a top level, we started with similar design language to the exterior accentuating dynamic lines that imply motion even at a standstill. Taut yet friendly lines that convey a feeling of order and comfort during those long commutes and trips which the Elio was designed to accommodate.

Working concurrently with exterior designers, the interior design team had to create a variety of occupant studies to ensure comfort and safety for both the driver and passenger. These evaluations take into account a variety of factors including visual obscuration, reach studies for shifter, pedal and park break, side mirror placement and of course headroom. Other evaluations include safety studies to ensure we remain focused on engineering for an anticipated 5-Star Crash Test Safety Rating.

The $6,800 base price of the Elio will feature a high-level of standard design features found in the interior of more expensive vehicles:
  • Air conditioning
  • Power windows and lock
  • AM/FM mp3 stereo with USB connection
  • Steering wheel mounted airbag, side curtain airbags
  • Console mounted shifter and park brake
  • Rear mounted LATCH system for securing in a child seat
  • 3-point safety belts for driver and passenger

Additional items that are in consideration for the base model, but still require more research on pricing and production variations are:
  • A unique instrument cluster inspired by a Lord Elgin watch that belonged to Paul Elio’s father, as opposed to standard gauges that utilize a needle that points to the speed or RPM's. This design reveals such information via a window with a decorative solid surround
  • Contrast stitching on the black cloth seats
  • Painted trim bezels on the instrument panel
  • Three cup holders including two console mounted (one for driver and one for passenger) and one instrument panel mounted
  • Articulating visor
  • Three charge ports
  • Storage bins in the door panel and right hand console
  • A mounting point for a table and/or phone cradle at the top of the instrument panel with a convenient charging port nearby
Dakkota_Cluster_2_cropped_TT.jpg

Even though the base Elio will include a tremendous amount of value, comfort and safety features, some individuals that desire a more customized interior will be able to order additional options at the Elio Retail Center. Some custom interior options that will be available include:
  • Power seats trimmed in black leather
  • Upgraded stereo system featuring Bluetooth with hands free dialing
  • Door/right hand panel inserts color matched to your exterior
Elio Motors will continue working towards designing a stylish, modern and most of all comfortable interior. Of course a host of choices will be available to further personalize your Elio even more to your liking. Be sure to look to future Tech Talks for a sneak peek into what other options will be offered.
I'd love to see a digital cluster..... But gawd save me from that retro look! It needs to be as modern as the vehicle!

Double D in Ohio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A note on cruise control, from a retired Cop/ Driving Instructors point of view. NO cruise control when it is raining, snowing or heavy traffic.......you want as much control over your vehicle as YOU can not something doing it for you....When The road and traffic suck you should be one in Complete Control of Your Vehicle.

Top Bottom