• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wheel Fenders, Fairings, Skirts, Covers

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree wholeheratedly with foxey fox - the covered wheels and two-tone paint job look absolutely
dreadful. The reasons for them are obvious - MPG and cost, cheaper plain steel wheels that don't
even have covers (eliminating covers was a cost move, not an aero move). I seriously doubt that
any driver could ever notice (or even measure) any difference in MPG regardless of which fenders
they used - it was simply a matter of being able to produce a test verified "84MPG" (rather than "81MPG" )
after promising that figure. Around town those fenders might produce 49 MPG rather than 48MPG. Big deal.
And that's where most of a car's mileage occurs, not on the Interstates. Regardless, the fact that
the original fenders and wheels are an option is OK with me.
However, Paul Elio is going on all this video interviews accompanied by only the standard Elio,
which I think is a BIG mistake, because people aren't going to know just how much more attractive
the car can be. Paul is concentrating way too much on hitting his low numbers, and losing sales
in the process. He needs to bring two prototypes with him for his TV video interviews. Looks
SELL CARS, they always have, they always will. It almost seems as though Paul believes that all his
customers will be near-sighted. Generally speaking, it doesn't cost any more to build a pretty car than it
does to build an ugly car : it only requires one guy with a sense of style - like Gerry Coker, who as a
young English lad did the entire styling for the immortal Austin-Healey. It was the first (and best) car he ever styled.
More often than not when Paul Elio is at an interview with the P4 Elio, the P3 is at an event in place of P4. The prototypes are hand built with the intention of getting out all the design kinks before the production model is built. Considering how rapidly the reservation program is growing I'm not too worried about people being turned off by the looks of the Elio. In fact people I show my pictures to almost always think it looks interesting, fun, cute, etc. and they cover the age range from young people helping me at a store to seniors like myself or older. The ones most likely to be turned off are the ones who actually have little use for an Elio because they are always schlepping kids, pets, stuff, etc. around and need a big vehicle to do that. :-) Z

Danno

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
We have guys at work that are nay sayers as well...and it's funny, when they say..."well what about XXXX?" and you give them an answer, they get really quiet! And when there isn't an answer yet and you respond with, well it's still in design or prototype phase, they skogh etc...I tend to see that as "Elio envy!"

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just curious. To those who have actually sat in the P4, can you clearly see the front fenders through the windshield? I was wondering if they get lost in the A-pillar/side mirrors.

Thanks!
I think if you search for that you will not only get an answer but pictures. Unfortunately I don't remember which event the pictures are from but I do remember it being discussed and saw the pictures. I can give you the answer but I firmly believe a picture is worth a thousand words. :-) Z

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought the same until I saw this photo!
image.jpg

Also, If they weren't visible there may be some scrapes after doing this so many times while traveling cross country.
image.jpg

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
More often than not when Paul Elio is at an interview with the P4 Elio, the P3 is at an event in place of P4. The prototypes are hand built with the intention of getting out all the design kinks before the production model is built. Considering how rapidly the reservation program is growing I'm not too worried about people being turned off by the looks of the Elio. In fact people I show my pictures to almost always think it looks interesting, fun, cute, etc. and they cover the age range from young people helping me at a store to seniors like myself or older. The ones most likely to be turned off are the ones who actually have little use for an Elio because they are always schlepping kids, pets, stuff, etc. around and need a big vehicle to do that. :) Z
That is the exact situation that screams for the need of an Elio as their second vehicle.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Just curious. To those who have actually sat in the P4, can you clearly see the front fenders through the windshield? I was wondering if they get lost in the A-pillar/side mirrors.

Thanks!
I have sat in it, you can barely see the top front edge from normal driving position, but you can easily see the full thing just by leaning your head towards your shoulder.

Top Bottom