• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Will Other Drivers See Us?

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you all are concerned about ground clearance, you should talk to the city guys. They can hook you up. Won't have to worry about not being noticed any more
donk1.jpg
I am sure someone will try to do this to an Elio. I hope I have my aspirin with me.
I am also sure someone will try to put a Chevy 350 into an Elio. Is there any car made that someone has not put a Chevy 350 into it? At least shopping carts are too small to hold them.

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I am sure someone will try to do this to an Elio. I hope I have my aspirin with me.
I am also sure someone will try to put a Chevy 350 into an Elio. Is there any car made that someone has not put a Chevy 350 into it? At least shopping carts are too small to hold them.

Do miniatures count? XD

Attachments

• DX4UxHB.jpg
    DX4UxHB.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 244

CaribbeanZombie

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I asked EM about the clearance issue, as I'm planning on driving my Elio into Central America & their roads are just a tad rougher than what we have here. I was told by EM that there would be upgraded suspensions available as an option.
I'm not sure how much ground clearance will be gained with the upgraded suspension (if any) or if it's just a tougher suspension? Personally, I'd like to see an additional 3-5", with a skid plate underneath! :D

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I asked EM about the clearance issue, as I'm planning on driving my Elio into Central America & their roads are just a tad rougher than what we have here. I was told by EM that there would be upgraded suspensions available as an option.
I'm not sure how much ground clearance will be gained with the upgraded suspension (if any) or if it's just a tougher suspension? Personally, I'd like to see an additional 3-5", with a skid plate underneath! :D

These coil-overs installed in the P4 should be able to provide at least some extra ground clearance.:)

[Broken External Image]

Elio Motors Tech Talk mentioning these springs and a few others things: http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=22e1c0b584&e=c308373d2f

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score

You can lift and put a v8 into anything, so I've learned
muscle_cars_4x4_34.jpg

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought the clearance issue came up months ago on this site or fb. I think the P4 has lower ground clearance than the intended production model. I think they stated the clearance should be similar to any compact car. There was one article that said similar to Ford Mustang and I've seen 5-3/4" clearance stated.
They DID say that the production Elio would have the same ground clearance as a Mustang... Which is good since it'll also have a Mustang seat.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have not had the pleasure of viewing one of the Elio test mules in person...

But...as I researched the vehicle specification...I came across a couple of photos of the test mule in traffic...

I was surprised how low to the ground it sits...driver visibility seems impaired...and certainly not very visible to other vehicle operators in adjacent lanes of traffic...especially if they're operating SUV's...

Any thoughts?

1408096841375_wps_8_The_Elio_a_three_wheeled_.jpg

Looking at this picture, the Elio is a bit behind the SUV on the left and the Truck on the right which makes it look a lot smaller than it is. The Elio didn't seem abnormally short to me when I saw it in October. The below picture compares it to a Cadillac CTX. Height and length-wise, it is. now, this is the P3 which sat a little higher than the P4 and is probalby more indicative of the ride hight of the final vehicle.

elio-CTSsmaller-e1382743408393-723x406.jpg

Top Bottom