• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Doubts...to Buy Or Not To Buy...

Jerry Greif

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would have to say that there is progress, this makes production look like a reality. I am keeping a positive attitude and still promoting the Eilo. I have no idea how long it takes to get a car from a concept to production, I can only assume that it would take the big 3 several years with all of their resources so I would say that Elio is making real good progress with the resources that they have.

WAYNE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It seems to me that the prototypes are as good as they can get it for fuel efficiency. now all they need is the motor and tranny. Should that take a Another year? I know there is a lot to do setting up the factory but when the engine gets in it I will have a lot more confidence . It's all about the money but delays hurt more confidence than anything. I wish we could get more info on finances and if one IAV engine is really built. If so stick a tranny in it and test already. The Thoroughbred trike has a Ford 2.0 liter in it. 35 MPG city, 45 MPG highway. Good engine off the shelf . Be a nice engine for the mule. and a good start on testing mpg. Detune it a bit for better figures although its a four cyl. apparently there is no figures for mileage on the Geo setup. I want the Elio so bad I would buy it with that engine (Ford) and his design in a heartbeat. I wonder what the stock numbers would be in the Elio. Anyway just thinking out loud. No offence intended to anyone.

upload_2014-3-8_9-13-58.jpeg

H town Jeff

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
We truly are a microwave society. Good lord, he is building a vehicle not a go cart. Do you want it safe and reliable? The concept would be a complete failure if he rushes out an inferior product. He has one chance to make a first impression.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We truly are a microwave society. Good lord, he is building a vehicle not a go cart. Do you want it safe and reliable? The concept would be a complete failure if he rushes out an inferior product. He has one chance to make a first impression.
Jeff I fully agree with that statement it's just that we need more information and real details to maintain confidence..

Reactions: JP

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would have to say that there is progress, this makes production look like a reality. I am keeping a positive attitude and still promoting the Eilo. I have no idea how long it takes to get a car from a concept to production, I can only assume that it would take the big 3 several years with all of their resources so I would say that Elio is making real good progress with the resources that they have.
Elio Motors is doing something that is extremely rare in the vehicle building industry. They're exposing much of their product development process to the unblinking, impatient, hyper-critical eye of potential consumers. My hat is off to them for that. I want my Elio yesterday, but I understand that the process that must be undergone to bring it from concept to delivery is incredibly complicated and arduous. I'm impatiently pleased with any progress that I see and as long as I continue to see that progress I know that we'll all have our vehicles eventually.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The concept has been in the drawing board since 2008 from what I gather. And this is not the first 3 wheeler that's been conceptualized and put to production and with better computer simulations they're using right now, it's not unreasonable for people to doubt what's taking them so long. Like EM said all along "they are not trying to re-invent the wheel", the more reason for this project to go full speed ahead if they have the funding in place. I was at the Phoenix, AZ showing and with all the enthusiasts firing away questions to the guy in charge (i didn't ask his name because he may not want to be quoted on his answers), I manage to squeeze in one and ask if they will come up with yet another prototype and he said the P4 is "it". With that in mind, I would assume that the IAV engine will be in place for their planned testing in June. :(

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would like to see a little more progress on the engine front I think that would make everyone involved feel more at ease. I wouldn't mind GM's 1.0-1.4 ecotec turbo or Ford's 1.0L Ecoboost engine the the Elio chassis but that would make it way over 6800$

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I would like to see a little more progress on the engine front I think that would make everyone involved feel more at ease. I wouldn't mind GM's 1.0-1.4 ecotec turbo or Ford's 1.0L Ecoboost engine the the Elio chassis but that would make it way over 6800$

The engine is definitely the biggest question most of us have right now. While it is true the engine is fairly simple in design and IAV is a very well respected company we have yet to see if the engine delivers the promised results in the real world and can be built within budget. IAV is supposed to start building and testing engines sometime soon with a goal of delivering working models to Elio by June to be installed in working prototypes. If they can meet this deadline I think most of us will breath a sigh of relief as this would be a huge milestone.

Last edited:

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The engine is definitely the biggest question most of us have right now. While it is true the engine is fairly simple in design and IAV is a very well respected company we have yet to see if the engine delivers the promised results in the real world and can be built within budget. IAV is supposed to start building and testing engines sometime soon with a goal of delivering working models to Elio by June to be installed in working prototypes. If they can meet this deadline I think most of us will breath a sigh of relief as this would be a huge milestone.
Again, the IAV engine from what I gathered has been in the testing phase and cmae close at 81mpg.. it's there. The questions is, can EM pay for the IAV company to mass produce this engine and stay with the promised $6,800. price?

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Again, the IAV engine from what I gathered has been in the testing phase and cmae close at 81mpg.. it's there. The questions is, can EM pay for the IAV company to mass produce this engine and stay with the promised $6,800. price?
I previously posted that I feel the price will likely be higher if the Elio is built.. The funding issue is huge and a hurdle that could prevent the car from being built.. I understand there is no tranny yet either and that's a big deal too.. Very little tranny talk going on from what I have seen and like you said you need $$ to pay for it as well.. Drastic change needs to happen and sooner rather than later if this going to get off the drawing board..

Top Bottom