• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What's Your Theory?

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EMV's no risk Reservation Match Program (for any Vehicle) is a generous marketing strategy. if the SOLO happens to meet an Elio Reservationist's needs and budget, it does provide the opportunity to salvage a potentially lost $1K non-refundable deposit. I used my Tesla Model 3 refundable Reservation match for White Hot Solo #166.
View attachment 22220
#166????? Hoowaaa! You're getting your SOLO a lot earlier next year. And I really like that graphics/stripes over white...sorry Rickb but I'll copy yours! :D

Donnyboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Out of the Elio, Moto, Sondors, and Solo, the Solo is the best looking in my opinion. But the only one that makes sense for me is the Elio. Moto looks like a glorified golf cart, Sondors looks wobbly and is electric, and Solo looks amazing but is electric. Electric simply raises the cost to where it no longer makes sense. Not when I can buy a Chevy Sonic with more room, features, and practical, gas powered range for the same price. The Solo with an ICE would move to the top of my list, but I don't see that happening. It's gonna be Elio or Craigslist for me!! Go Elio.....give us some good news for Christmas!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have no idea why you think the Arcimoto FUV looks like a glorified golf cart!
IMG_8741.jpg

The Arcimoto FUV is likely the most fun to ride/drive and has a wide range of daily utility uses from golf cart, to taking a surfboard to the beach, the kid to school, mom or dad's commute to work, or a trip to the grocery store. The styling creates the new classification of vehicle (the FUV Fun Utility Vehicle) as a supplement to the Volt, Bolt, Tesla, Sonic, or whatever brand of primary family car.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Out of the Elio, Moto, Sondors, and Solo, the Solo is the best looking in my opinion. But the only one that makes sense for me is the Elio. Moto looks like a glorified golf cart, Sondors looks wobbly and is electric, and Solo looks amazing but is electric. Electric simply raises the cost to where it no longer makes sense. Not when I can buy a Chevy Sonic with more room, features, and practical, gas powered range for the same price. The Solo with an ICE would move to the top of my list, but I don't see that happening. It's gonna be Elio or Craigslist for me!! Go Elio.....give us some good news for Christmas!

Our Elio will no doubt satisfy my ICE need for sweet and cheap ride but is a long shot w/ no funding and my SOLO will satisfy my EV need and has an overall BEST shot of delivering by next year because of their Chinese backing.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The reality is staring us in the face. It's not about Paul Elio at all and what he wants....you've got to think like an investor to see why it has taken this long to finance this project. Here's what I think is what everybody know already:
1. Unfinished R & D
2. provided all 65K reservationist decided to buy, and at an average of 10K per unit w/ anticipated options added that's just 650mil. And they need probably half a billion right now just to get the ball rolling w/ overheads counted in, the investors will barely m

Our Elio will no doubt satisfy my ICE need for sweet and cheap ride but is a long shot w/ no funding and my SOLO will satisfy my EV need and has an overall BEST shot of delivering by next year because of their Chinese backing.
...........or my other best shot made in the USA Arcimoto FUV because of their highly efficient use of limited R&D funding and start small and scale business model.

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not all is lost BilgeRat! EM is still around, the hook, line, bait and sinker's in the water....just waiting to lure that big fish! Then there's the SOLO that accepts reservations from other start ups so I used my 1K from ELIO for a SOLO and EMV is ready to go full throttle of the first 5K units by next year!!! Not all is lost BilgeRat....not all is lost. :D

I really do hope that you're right (I have the money set aside.), but I did understand that this was risky. I thought that the proposed vehicle would very handily serve our needs as a town and regional vehicle for errands and such, and that it would be very inexpensive to buy and even more importantly, inexpensive to operate. And I'm not throwing out any fun to drive aspect, don't get me wrong! :D But I'm an adult, and I can weigh potential risk, and I'm extremely conservative financially. I'm not willing to risk more than I can afford to lose. If this happens, I'll be the first one to be doing the happy dance in the middle of our street, and lining up a sleeper on the Texas Eagle for Shreveport, but is it doesn't, life will go on, and we'll be OK.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For Elio, they have been looking for money since day one. So, the situation they are in is not unique to them. As an investor today, I can imagine the questions they would be asking. They do look over the SEC filings and will ask questions. Things like:

1. You were showing the car and idea for the previous 4 years before taking reservations. Once you started, it took over 4 years to get to 65K which is just over 16K per year. With that, how did you come up with the number of 250K per year for sales? When you started with the commit to buy, only just over 21K out of the 65K did that.

2. Why did you run the business out of money so fast? Why didn't you throttle back the spending as to keep marketing the brand and retain the employees? As of now there is little marketing and you laid off most of your employees (I know Elio claims they furloughed but we all know that was laid off for any regular employee that is not a consultant and it's been 11 months which means they all got other jobs, thus they are not coming back).

3. You are looking to raise $100M. Last IPO you had, only raised $16M out of the $25M you were aiming for. Since you need $376M to get to production, that leaves you with $276M needed. Since you are not marketing the vehicle like you were in 2015, what makes you think that you will get the full 100% of the funding when you couldn't do it the first time?

4. If you do raise the $100M and still need an extra $276M, will we be in this same situation today after you burn through the $100M? By situation, I mean no marketing, little if any employees and little if any communication.

5. When you said you were going to build 25 prototypes with the last IPO, why did you only build 3? Even though you didn't get 100% of the funding you were looking for, why didn't you at least build 15-18 of them? Why didn't you build the 100 fleet 11 months ago in Shreveport?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really do hope that you're right (I have the money set aside.), but I did understand that this was risky. I thought that the proposed vehicle would very handily serve our needs as a town and regional vehicle for errands and such, and that it would be very inexpensive to buy and even more importantly, inexpensive to operate. And I'm not throwing out any fun to drive aspect, don't get me wrong! :D But I'm an adult, and I can weigh potential risk, and I'm extremely conservative financially. I'm not willing to risk more than I can afford to lose. If this happens, I'll be the first one to be doing the happy dance in the middle of our street, and lining up a sleeper on the Texas Eagle for Shreveport, but is it doesn't, life will go on, and we'll be OK.
I'd like to see the happy dance! :)

Top Bottom