• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What's Your Theory?

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really do hope that you're right (I have the money set aside.), but I did understand that this was risky. I thought that the proposed vehicle would very handily serve our needs as a town and regional vehicle for errands and such, and that it would be very inexpensive to buy and even more importantly, inexpensive to operate. And I'm not throwing out any fun to drive aspect, don't get me wrong! :D But I'm an adult, and I can weigh potential risk, and I'm extremely conservative financially. I'm not willing to risk more than I can afford to lose. If this happens, I'll be the first one to be doing the happy dance in the middle of our street, and lining up a sleeper on the Texas Eagle for Shreveport, but is it doesn't, life will go on, and we'll be OK.
Right now EM has projected 2019 as the start of production. Subject to change if funding is still an issue.

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd like to see the happy dance! :)

The tiller arm on one of the rudders of the towboat that I was chief on had four 1 1/2" Allen head bolts that clamped the arm on the rudder stock. One of them broke, and the biggest bolt extractor we had was for a 1/2" bolt. If this didn't work, we were going to have to get a floating crane in to hold the rudder while we did what we had to getting the broken bolt out of the arm. We drilled the broken end of the bolt, put the extractor in, and took a DEEP breath... Out it came, and the happy dance erupted. It wasn't pretty... :eek::D;)

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For Elio, they have been looking for money since day one. So, the situation they are in is not unique to them. As an investor today, I can imagine the questions they would be asking. They do look over the SEC filings and will ask questions. Things like:

1. You were showing the car and idea for the previous 4 years before taking reservations. Once you started, it took over 4 years to get to 65K which is just over 16K per year. With that, how did you come up with the number of 250K per year for sales? When you started with the commit to buy, only just over 21K out of the 65K did that.

2. Why did you run the business out of money so fast? Why didn't you throttle back the spending as to keep marketing the brand and retain the employees? As of now there is little marketing and you laid off most of your employees (I know Elio claims they furloughed but we all know that was laid off for any regular employee that is not a consultant and it's been 11 months which means they all got other jobs, thus they are not coming back).

3. You are looking to raise $100M. Last IPO you had, only raised $16M out of the $25M you were aiming for. Since you need $376M to get to production, that leaves you with $276M needed. Since you are not marketing the vehicle like you were in 2015, what makes you think that you will get the full 100% of the funding when you couldn't do it the first time?

4. If you do raise the $100M and still need an extra $276M, will we be in this same situation today after you burn through the $100M? By situation, I mean no marketing, little if any employees and little if any communication.

5. When you said you were going to build 25 prototypes with the last IPO, why did you only build 3? Even though you didn't get 100% of the funding you were looking for, why didn't you at least build 15-18 of them? Why didn't you build the 100 fleet 11 months ago in Shreveport?
For Elio, they have been looking for money since day one. So, the situation they are in is not unique to them. As an investor today, I can imagine the questions they would be asking. They do look over the SEC filings and will ask questions. Things like:

1. You were showing the car and idea for the previous 4 years before taking reservations. Once you started, it took over 4 years to get to 65K which is just over 16K per year. With that, how did you come up with the number of 250K per year for sales? When you started with the commit to buy, only just over 21K out of the 65K did that.

2. Why did you run the business out of money so fast? Why didn't you throttle back the spending as to keep marketing the brand and retain the employees? As of now there is little marketing and you laid off most of your employees (I know Elio claims they furloughed but we all know that was laid off for any regular employee that is not a consultant and it's been 11 months which means they all got other jobs, thus they are not coming back).

3. You are looking to raise $100M. Last IPO you had, only raised $16M out of the $25M you were aiming for. Since you need $376M to get to production, that leaves you with $276M needed. Since you are not marketing the vehicle like you were in 2015, what makes you think that you will get the full 100% of the funding when you couldn't do it the first time?

4. If you do raise the $100M and still need an extra $276M, will we be in this same situation today after you burn through the $100M? By situation, I mean no marketing, little if any employees and little if any communication.

5. When you said you were going to build 25 prototypes with the last IPO, why did you only build 3? Even though you didn't get 100% of the funding you were looking for, why didn't you at least build 15-18 of them? Why didn't you build the 100 fleet 11 months ago in Shreveport?
Any prospective investors that was approached by Paul Elio must have seen EM's books and had already did cost analysis of their business plan. Because that's what they do, and they most likely done their homework regarding it's risks and rewards. And it is also very likely those investors had already made up their mind and made a decision. We as outsiders just have to wait it out and see if their decision favors EM or against it. IMHO.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
trap.jpg

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EMV's no risk Reservation Match Program (for any Vehicle) is a generous marketing strategy. if the SOLO happens to meet an Elio Reservationist's needs and budget, it does provide the opportunity to salvage a potentially lost $1K non-refundable deposit. I used my Tesla Model 3 refundable Reservation match for White Hot Solo #166.
View attachment 22220
I too used my Elio res to get my Arctic White Solo #458 reservation :D

I am seriously looking at the Sondors, The price is comparable to the Elio, more or less, it carries 3, and I only wish it would be a hybrid at least, but that may be an option at some point.
I also am looking at Sondors...........at this point, whomever gets to production first, gets my $$$$$. At this point in my life, I'M RUNNING OUT OF TIME :p

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I too used my Elio res to get my Arctic White Solo #458 reservation :D

I also am looking at Sondors...........at this point, whomever gets to production first, gets my $$$$$. At this point in my life, I'M RUNNING OUT OF TIME :p
Start the celebration because you'll have better than average chance of getting your Arctic White Solo #458, mine's #556 and will get the same color white after I saw RickB's white Solo with racing stripes...and he's #166! Exciting times ahead!:D

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Start the celebration because you'll have better than average chance of getting your Arctic White Solo #458, mine's #556 and will get the same color white after I saw RickB's white Solo with racing stripes...and he's #166! Exciting times ahead!:D
When I reserved my Arctic White SOLO #166, I knew I would add orange accent stripping. When I saw this render it seemed perfect, less the Number 22 and rear spoiler......although cool looking on a SOLO Racer. I agree with wizard of ahs running out of time and 3wheelin's exciting times indeed!
IMG_7898.JPG
IMG_9592.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom