• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Will You Go First With Your New Elio?

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely! I love driving that area every fall anyway!

I'm in !
I live near Knoxville, and have never been to the dragon! The ride thru Gatlinburg, into Cherrokee is pretty, tho. I have lived in this area for 25 years, and am still surprised by the natural beauty close by, that only the "locals" know about. An I guess I've been here long enough to be considered local now. :D

rmcelroy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The interstate from Knoxville to Ashville is like a road course, a fun drive. If you are on the Dragon in a sports car its completely different than a sedan. You will hit the apexes.

If you don't like Miats you havn't driven one!

Next car-Elio

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can count me in too. I absolutely LOVE to travel, and love history. Some folks love to travel the world, but for me, their is a life time of beauty right here in this great nation. Maybe we can use this forum to form a group, like the "Air Stream" folks. Do an annual "get together" in a different part of the country. Just a thought. :rolleyes: Who wants to start testing the water and building a base. . . . . . . If there is enough interest there?
The real base for this type operation, on the East Coast, would have to be the Iron Horse Lodge. As I said earlier, I'll inquire as to their acceptance of an Elio week-end. I've seen Vettes and other car clubs on the Dragon, was a site to see.

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some friends on ClubLexus use to make an annual pilgrimage to "Tail of the Dragon" - and now during the season, it's gotten kind of crowded, filled with high-speed tourists, cops trying to discourage budding Michael Schumachers among us, and the occasional ambulance for those who weren't "discouraged" in time.

I guess I never understood why someone would travel through such a beautiful part of the country and never look at anything but apexes . . . .
doh-smiley.gif

Maybe this will help you understand riding the Dragon, Snake, the Needles Hi way, or other crooked roads.
I'm speaking as a MC rider here, never had the desire to make those runs in a cage.
Your continued presents, in the world above the grass, Demands that you only pay attention to the 5 or so feet in your lane, from the yellow center line to the white edge line. Go wide left and a crouch rocket, car, truck will mess your life up, if you get that far, there are ditches and trees that will do the same thing. If you go wide right, this hurts Quicker, run off the road, whip back across and, (see left side hurt) you'll hit the ditch, rocks, trees, a rock wall or go air born for a few to hundreds of feet. This will most likely only hurt for a little while.

In a curve, set up your line, gear down before you break over. If you go into a curve too hot, rather than brake, trust your tires, roll on the gas, Bikes hold better when they are pulling.

Having said all that, I have yet to see anything but this 5 feet, on roads like this. Stop, then look, it will help you stay above the grass.

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe this will help you understand riding the Dragon, Snake, the Needles Hi way, or other crooked roads.
I'm speaking as a MC rider here, never had the desire to make those runs in a cage.
Your continued presents, in the world above the grass, Demands that you only pay attention to the 5 or so feet in your lane, from the yellow center line to the white edge line. Go wide left and a crouch rocket, car, truck will mess your life up, if you get that far, there are ditches and trees that will do the same thing. If you go wide right, this hurts Quicker, run off the road, whip back across and, (see left side hurt) you'll hit the ditch, rocks, trees, a rock wall or go air born for a few to hundreds of feet. This will most likely only hurt for a little while.

In a curve, set up your line, gear down before you break over. If you go into a curve too hot, rather than brake, trust your tires, roll on the gas, Bikes hold better when they are pulling.

Having said all that, I have yet to see anything but this 5 feet, on roads like this. Stop, then look, it will help you stay above the grass.

Never replied to my own post but, tring to catch you, Goofyone on line. What about our first South East Elio get to gather be at the Rome, Ga. fly in, if that is still on??????

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Never replied to my own post but, tring to catch you, Goofyone on line. What about our first South East Elio get to gather be at the Rome, Ga. fly in, if that is still on??????

Great idea!

I am heading away on vacation for a week in the middle of June however after I returned I was planning to work on setting up an Atlanta area Elio meet and greet sometime in July. If that goes well I was thinking about another southern region event in Birmingham, AL during the showing there in August. The Rome event in October sounds like a very nice opportunity to get together, spend some time with the Elio, and enjoy the air show.

atomic13

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Myself and Cardinal 72 are planning on flying to the factory, picking up our new cars and heading 800 miles to Deals Gap, Robbinsville, N.C. and taking on the Tail of the Dragon (318 turns in 11 miles). We've done it several time on our motorcycle, but are looking for a new adventures. After that heading home to South East Florida. Approximately a 1500 miles break in road trip. Our only concern is being we are in the low 6000 manufacture number, is weather. Its hard enough doing the dragon in the summer let alone on snow.

So what's your plans?

Anion

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
The Ozarks, also referred to as the Ozark Mountains, Ozarks Mountain Country, and the Ozark Plateau, are a physiographic and geologic highland region of the central United States. It covers much of the southern half of Missouri and an extensive portion of northwestern and north central Arkansas. The region also extends westward into northeastern Oklahoma and extreme southeastern Kansas. The Shawnee Hills of southwest Illinois, which lie near the eastern edge of this region, are commonly called the "Illinois Ozarks" but are generally not considered part of the true Ozarks. Took this ride many years ago on my Harley and boy what views!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I honestly have no clue .... its possible that I'd go to the factory and pick it up but for me that would be a 2,000 mile round trip .... for me that would mean 4 nights in a motel while traveling, 1 or 2 nights while in Shreveport, 20 or so meals on the road, whatever it cost to get there and some gas on the way back .... in short, I suspect it will be cheaper to have them deliver it .... at some point I can see taking it on a road trip to the NC mountains and/or the NC/SC coast .... I really don't foresee taking it on a trip longer than 300 or so miles

Jim

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Ozarks, also referred to as the Ozark Mountains, Ozarks Mountain Country, and the Ozark Plateau, are a physiographic and geologic highland region of the central United States. It covers much of the southern half of Missouri and an extensive portion of northwestern and north central Arkansas. The region also extends westward into northeastern Oklahoma and extreme southeastern Kansas. The Shawnee Hills of southwest Illinois, which lie near the eastern edge of this region, are commonly called the "Illinois Ozarks" but are generally not considered part of the true Ozarks. Took this ride many years ago on my Harley and boy what views!
WOW! Love y'all's statements & answers, but for me it's a simple answer: I'm going home. . . . THE LONG WAY! :) And taking ALL the back roads. Who knows, I may NEVER get home. :eek:

Maybe "home" will be where ever my Elio happens to be at the time! :D

Hmmm. . . . . I kinda like that thought! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom