• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Space In The Hood

Build it RIGHT!

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Do it for circulation ........ Isn't this why the Elio is at RedDot? An HVAC system designed specifically for the Elio. Plus HVAC = Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning which is included as standard equipment.
When the conversation started about opening rear windows, one of my first comments was "use the Search feature; this is a well hashed out topic that has been discussed from every possibility" did anyone go Search? I kind of doubt it.
Everything that has been said here has already been covered; how do I know, I used the Search function and on a simple search came up with 200 pages of results!
Here's some examples
6-15-2016
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/elio-accessories.7371/page-7#post-151393

5-15-16
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/how-many-options-will-em-be-offering.7240/page-6#post-147240

9-19-16
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/mods-and-accessories-section.6432/page-5#post-117593

8-18-15
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/i...thing-i-would-change.6422/page-16#post-113688

11-25-14
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/tell-all-your-friends-the-50-bonus-is-back.5183/page-6#post-69085

And it had the option to load more.

Ok, I feel better; I just felt like VENTING!

Sorry for taking the thread off topic, it just of sort of happened. Think someone was asking about if a set of horns would fit under the hood, Anyhow someone mentioned RedDOT and off topic we went.

On the bright side by the thread going off topic a bunch of posts were made and each time a post is made it increases the net worth of a site, or increases the revenue stream.
(Which is why you want people to make short little posts..)

BTW: I hate taking threads off topic, but it happened. Excited about the ELIO and debating pros and cons.. trying to get the latest info / get up to speed and fight the deadline to get in before 65k cut-off point. Debating in my mind the FACT you should NEVER buy the 1st year production... Year 3 and 4th being the best years and especially year 4 as it's had the bugs worked out.

And this is with a manufacturer that has being manufacturing for decades. And ELIO is a unproven product with no history of sales, NO sales at ALL, using a unproven engine. (Hey at least the transmissions have some history on them.)

On the threads you found... On a mature product looking in semi-old threads is ok, but as fishermen say :You got to go where the fish are". You go off to a fishing spot that's been fished to death, ain't going to be no fish there... If you find a fish at one of them old spots he ain't going to know all the latest that's being going on.

As it relates to the ELIO, them fish that knows the latest aren't interested in them old threads as it's been talked to death. The smart fish that's knows alot ain't in them old threads.

Oh, on older threads in which a issue has been talked about what I've found over the years is you have to deal with the "NECRO" issue you will get posting in old threads

Either getting no responses or people going on about how you are Necro'ing the thread.

Last edited:

Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes they do, but normal people do not.
They reason I'm of the opinion rear opening pop-out windows should be standard is multifold:

Increased ventilation.
Psychologically they calm the rear passenger. (They won't feel trapped as much.)
In a wreck a pop-out window that is on hinges could be removed by passers-by.
(A rock, or tools to break window may not be present, additionally not busting the glass keeps the entrapped person calmer.)

So 1st responders are abnormal?

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So 1st responders are abnormal?
First Responders are usually equipped with a device that will shatter the window for quick removal of an individual when needed. My son (a firemen and paramedic first responder has shown me the device. It looks a lot like the device used to prick your finger for a blood draw only larger and with a diamond tip.)

They don't usually spend the time to use the window release if the situation calls for immediate relocation. If the danger isn't imminent, they will usually stabilize the patient before removal with neck braces and such. If breaking the window won't do, they can use the Jaws of Life.

Needless to say, I think fear of not having a second door or pop out windows is overblown.

ps I just watched an episode of Designated Survivor and they really messed up the reality of search and rescue procedures when they Found the Survivor. They just took his hand and pulled. It doesn't work like that.

Last edited:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Upon arriving at their destination Rob's best friend of 30+ years after exiting the ELIO said...
Hey I'm either driving back or catching a cab...

Man it sure is TIGHT back there, sure would feel better if I could open those windows!
I have no control over anything, opening those windows would really help me feel less claustrophobic.

So you're saying children would fit thru rear windows?
All the MORE reason to make pop-out rear windows STANDARD equipment.

Average man could probably do it.
If not..
Ever heard of ADRENALINE?
When people get excited they are stronger than they normally are. Then there is the crowd thing upon seeing a child trapped in the back.

So far as a security risk to thieves, if they want in they'll get in and since there there would be physical evidence the vehicle was broken into so insurance would pay.
PS: I've had pop-out rear opening windows on ALL my vehicles for many years. Typically thieves bust in drivers/ passenger window... They want to get in and out quick... and once window is busted- they want to go thru a DOOR...

They for sure aren't going thru a *child sized window.
*There may be exceptions.

True that they are equipped but, as they say :

When SECONDS COUNT, the POLICE (And rescue crews) are just MINUTES away.

(Some really LONG minutes depending on where you live, and the rescue departments workload).

*Regarding yanking someone out that's been injured.. that's a good policy but scenario may warrant quick extraction. IE ELIO has gone in the river/lake with child in back seat, fire, etc.

They have to be STANDARD as people will be transporting CHILDREN.

While you may not desire such and say "Hey people with kids can order rear opening windows, I don't want them.".. It will just be a short time until ELIO's are hitting the USED (CAR) MARKET and there will be people, as example people that have been DIVORCED buying ELIO's that the ELIO is there only car that will be hauling young children around. Not everyone will be buying this as a "And" form of transportation.

To conclude this:
All those against pop-out rear opening windows that give (2) additional exit points need to realize The ELIO is fighting a uphill battle in the general public's mind for being dinky, and having (3) wheels and (1) door to begin with.

All it will take is (1) (Well maybe a couple) news story(s) about a kid that's been trapped in a ELIO.. and the MOMS and safety nuts will be laying down the law, "AutoCycle" or not. There will be tons of negative press due to the TANDEM seating arrangement in the ELIO in which driver being incapacitated blocks exit from the vehicle and having a trunk so narrow (14 inches LOL).
(Trunk should be 18 inches wide... 16 inch pizza is what 17 inches in the box?.. Lawyers and the media will talking about that if someone gets trapped in the back.)

PS: Most moms are smart enough to realize a TANDEM seating arrangement could (and will) be resulting in persons, or children being trapped in the back.

BTW: Besides the court of public opinion coming down hard on the ELIO which might put ELIO MOTORS out of business I can see LAWYERS and the NEWS MEDIA having a field day with this if ELIO MOTORS makes them optional, vs them being STANDARD.
Making them STANDARD shows that ELIO MOTORS was smart enough to foresee people being trapped in the back and made EVERY effort to keep that from happening.

14 inch wide trunk... Really? I guess it's true engineers have *no common sense. That needs to be changed before production begins.
http://elioowners.com/threads/space-in-the-hood.7836/page-9#post-167400

*I have a friend that's a engineer that has no common sense.

One last thought:
We that like the ELIO are blinded to this, and addicted to the low price and want to keep the price as low as possible (Some saying I'm not paying 1 cent more)

The public, the media and the courts won't be blinded., they aren't in love with the ELIO and they won't be swayed by the excuse.. "HEY it added $40 to the PRICE!!!!"
The see a dinky weird little car with (1) door, nothing more.

Things other posters have said:
Use a rock, just bust window out!.
Well rocks can't be found sometimes...
Additionally busting a window IN is far more traumatic to a child than ripping the window OUT.
One last thing:
*Ripping window OFF, vs busting it out with a rock should keep those pesky clunks of safety glass from getting in the kids EYE, or a piece ending up in their MOUTH

There are several "issues" in this post that deserve a reply or rebuttle...the reality is, the topics have been covered (add nauseum) in the past.
The points you bring up are not new. we have seen "rants" like yours, time after time. I will suggest that when you finally get a chance to actually see it in person, and sit in it (back seat too), some of your "opinions" will change. If you then decide that the Elio isn't for you, then you can devote your life to saving the world from this death trap. :rip:
PS: If child safety was really the issue, laws would already be in place to prevent "minors" from being a passenger on any motorcycle or quad...or convertible... or jeep...

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Out of all the things to worry about (e.g., getting to actual production, long term survival of EM, etc.), emergency exit out of the passenger seat in the event the driver is knocked out and the vehicle is in imminent danger of exploding or submerging under water is not one of those things that keeps me up at night.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Out of all the things to worry about (e.g., getting to actual production, long term survival of EM, etc.), emergency exit out of the passenger seat in the event the driver is knocked out and the vehicle is in imminent danger of exploding or submerging under water is not one of those things that keeps me up at night.
Agreed; this conversation about emergency exits is getting into school bus territory.
If you're really that worried about an emergency exit; DON'T BUY AN ELIO

That brings an end to the emergency exit discussion.
Next one to bring it up in here will have it deleted.

It has gone on far too long already.

Everyone understand?

Top Bottom